Cory and CBD Oil, Day Four


He slept through the night, although he was up before the alarm. He waited in the bathroom for some loves from Jackie.

Mostly, it’s hard to know what to say about the day. He’s doing great – alert, interested, good but not excessive appetite. He moves through his various beds at random, stopping in between to eat.

Casual breakfast dining!

Because of both the viral diarrhea all three had and because the walnut litter we use because of Cory’s allergy eventually breaking down into clingy dust (like any other litter, I suppose) both litter boxes got scrubbed and refilled yesterday. Maybe that will help his environmental itchies and help prevent a re-infection.

Continue reading

Cory and CBD Oil, Day Three


When the morning alarm went off, he joined Jackie in the bathroom, purring, and wanted some quick headbonks. By the time I got there, he wanted up into the window. I couldn’t stay with him and simultaneously get everyone’s breakfast and meds and pumpkin supplement together, so Jackie came back to stay with him. He did eventually want a drink (he turns around and looks pointedly at the showerhead) but not a large one. A bird flying by while he was drinking prompted him to whip around 180 degrees and crouch, watching everything – not a fear reaction, a hunting reaction, and once he established that it was gone, he resumed his small drink and wanted down.

On my bed, which is kitty central, Freya tried to wash his face and ears, but he was determined to wrestle instead. She gave up and went to the food, finishing off the last few kibbles from last night, and Cory went to a different kitty bed. He had no interest in the food, until Jackie opened a new serving. (We have small containers on hand with a limited amount, so it can’t get nasty in the current hot humid weather, and also so we can track roughly who’s eating how much.) As soon as the new food hit the dish, he was immediately interested, and between them they pretty much finished 3 tbs of mixed kibble.

The whole horde, pwning my messy bed for an afternoon nap

Continue reading

Cory and CBD oil, Days One and Two

We started Cory on CBD oil on Monday morning.

Dosing is a minor problem. It comes with a built-in dropper and says 1 dropper is 1ml, which is the appropriate dose for a 5kg pet. The dropper has no markings to indicate what level exactly is “full”. The salmon oil base makes it too thick to work well in a 1cc syringe. We’ll work on this. This bottle is 75mg/100ml of CBD in salmon oil, lower concentration than the variety at Pet Valu, which is the pet store I’m in several times a month anyway so that’s incredibly convenient, but it’ll suffice to see if/how it works. Starting off treating him at a 5kg level, which gives us room to increase a bit and also to make sure he tolerates it.

Cory, a few hours after his first CBD – and just after a bit of brushing

Continue reading

Cory and CBD oil, background

So, yeah. I’m going to stop apologizing for how irregular this blog is. I’ll post when life and my own brain allow, let’s leave it at that. :-)

But I’m going to try to do regular-ish posts for at least a week or two, because we’re trying something new. Cory-Bear is starting CBD oil. If you don’t know what that is, it’s one of the two main compounds in cannabis – not the THC that gets you all buzzed and gives you the munchies. CBD acts primarily as an anti-inflammatory.

Since some folks not familiar with the story so far might find this, I’m going to do a post now explaining the background situation, and then I’ll do one about the results of the first couple of days.

Cory on a hot humid day last week, in front of a fan, on crinkly tissue paper on my bed

Continue reading

Post-heatwave late update

Um, yeah… sorry if we worried anyone. I was tired enough that I was starting to have trouble focusing properly. There’s a half-finished draft from the 26th (!!) that I seem to have just dropped. It started like this:

Are you surprised that Cory demanded water at 5:30 am? If you’ve read the past few posts, you shouldn’t be! :-) I passed back out after the water without offering food, which may have annoyed him. At least, when the alarm went off and I dragged myself out of bed and took him to Jackie, he promptly bolted. I retrieved him, and he had his meds, but refused to let her feed him. Less than half an hour later, he was in my room demanding food. He polished off his entire breakfast, and then an hour later, ate almost two full snacks.

Meanwhile, there was lots of cuteness involving Freya in a sunbeam wanting loves, and Trick wandering around dragging random strings (shoelaces and such) while hollering about how no one notices him. At least it wasn’t worms from Jackie’s balcony garden this time (if they’re still alive – she’s had a lot of bad pain lately and care of the garden’s been a little ragged, which some plants are handling better than others).

He’s decided since that he only likes turkey crunchies, not the other flavours, and they have to come from me, not Jackie. But she is allowed to give him water and loves.

Cory relaxing on the balcony, June 26th

Continue reading

It’s all about the bear’s timetable

(Sorry for lack of pics, will try hard to have for tomorrow.)

Having had that last snack a little before midnight, guess who started hollering at 1:30 that he desperately needed a drink?

Now, he can actually drink from a dish, it’s just slower and less effective, which is why we help. But, y’know, he’s not at a total loss if the Metacam is making his mouth feel dry, or something. Still, 1:30, he insisted that he needed a full, proper drink, immediately. Since I moved, Trick decided he needed snuggles.

Okay, so I go back to bed, then before I’m entirely asleep, I hear him loudly pulling fur out. I drag myself vertical and check all his sleepy spots in my room (seriously, there are more kitty sleepy spots than just about anything else except dirty laundry… also sometimes a kitty sleepy spot!). No sign of him anywhere, but from the sound, he was obviously close. Turned out he was under my bed – it’s an old fashioned one with no box spring, it has metal slat springs and just the one mattress, so lots of room under it. There was no way I could reach him, and had to leave him to it. Guess what white-footed tuxie decided, “Hey, Mom’s awake, I can get snuggles!”

Sky barely light, and Freya starts yelling about how utterly lonely and forsaken and bored she is because her Jackie is daring to sleep and abandon her. Cory slept through Jackie getting up. The white-footed tuxie did not. “Oh, yay! Third time tonight! Mom’s awake to give me loves!”

Six o’clock. Cory. “I’m soooo thirsty!!!!” Jackie leaves Freya to take care of it (offending Freya, btw). And because he heard my voice (more of a groan, really) Trick hops eagerly back up on the bed. He didn’t get long: having had a drink, Cory decided he was hungry, and wolfed down two treat dishes (still 1 tbs each) before I called a halt. Partly because I wanted him to ewat breakfast, partly because I was only half conscious.

Quarter to seven? “Mom! I’m thirsty again! And I want you, not Jackie!”

Just… argh. Am I a bad mom for wanting the furry kid I love more than anything in the world to just shut up?

He managed to eat his full breakfast, regardless, after the alarm went off at 7:30.

And then, a little after 8:00, he climbed onto me and demanded a further two snacks. So, by 8:30, he’s had (if you include treats) about 6 tbs (90 ml) out of the 16 tbs/250 ml we’re aiming for in 24 hours.

He’ll be on his own for a little while this afternoon, after his lunchtime, but he sleeps then anyway. And again after that, since I have to see if I have enough left in my bank account for human food along with more crunchies, since we’re running out of a couple of flavours and we can’t have that. :roll:

He did eat his entire lunch, although a few of the crunchies were swapped with a different flavour. Maybe he was still feeling fairly full from breakfast!

I got home from shopping at most an hour before supper. Cory promptly wanted water, then ate the majority of 2 snacks – he left no more than half a tablespoon combined.

I picked up samples of a couple of flavours he hasn’t tried from the same brand – sweet potato and chicken, green pea and duck, and a senior version of the grain free. I hadn’t tried them previously because I was pretty sure he wouldn’t go for it. Preliminary evidence suggests that I was right: if he’s going to like something, it’s usually immediate. But, we’ll see.

He only ate about half of his supper, refusing the 1/2 tbs of sweet potato & chicken entirely, and even abandoned a lot of treats. Freya, on the other hand, seems enthusiastic. Trick hasn’t decided.

Around 10:30, after another drink (I honestly think the Metacam is giving him a dry mouth!), he went through two and a half as fast as I could drop them into his mouth, plus a few treats. Half an hour later, he came back for most of the remaining half… plus another full snack, and a few more treats besides. Again, like last night (did I mention it? I’ll have to check) Cory got rather indignant that I offered the leftover bit of kibble to Trick, although unlike last night, apparently he was too full to stalk over and try to shove Trick out of the way.

So, we’re looking at something like 14 tbs (roughly 210 mls of 250) which is extremely reasonable. Besides, he’s only intermittently active and he’s never had a very fast metabolism, so an estimated 1 cup per day might actually be a bit high for him anyway. So if some days it’s less than that, we aren’t going to panic – I’m considering around 12 tbs/ 180 ml to be a functional minimal level. But it’s good that he has such an excellent appetite!

Now, if he’d just have it at slightly more convenient times…

Another early morning

No pics – tired enough that I just wasn’t thinking of it, sorry.

Seriously – at 5:00 am, over 2 hours before the alarm, Cory notified me (by climbing onto my pillow and wrapping around my head) that he wanted me to wake up. As soon as I moved, he looked at the snack dishes. One snack and a drink later, he let me fall back asleep until the alarm. I was exhausted even before I went to bed, with his last snack right around midnight, and this stuff isn’t helping. It’s like having a genuine babycat who needs to be fed constantly! Love him more than all the world, but doing everything on his timetable… sigh

Ate so much breakfast that he even had a few extra kibbles from a snack dish, then had another 2/3 of a snack before returning to his den in my closet.

Less than an hour before lunch, he decided he was hungry and wolfed down two snacks. He wanted more, but I stopped him so he’d eat his lunch.

For lunch, he left a few kibble, but not very much. Then he did his usual afternoon nap. I had one, too!

He was extremely enthusiastic about supper, and actually had extra crunchies – probably at least half a tablespoon extra, so along with the treats, it was quite a substantial meal.

Before bed, he actively demanded that I sit down and feed him. He ate two full snacks, and half each of two more – Trick helpfully cleaned up the remaining halves. :-)

We’re trying an experiment because of how much fur he’s pulling out. Out of the seven flavours of crunchies we’ve been serving up, one he’s lost interest in (lamb and brown rice). Only one other one has any grain at all in it, chicken and brown rice. The remainder are all specifically grain free, generally with potato as a carb (I know, cats are not potato-tarians): turkey, salmon, chicken, ocean (whitefish, salmon, herring), and grain-free (turkey, duck, salmon, chicken). He’s sometimes not in the mood for the chicken, but he loves the other four. So we’re going to try dropping even the chicken and brown rice one, so his diet will be 100% grain free. It’s already been wheat- and corn-free for a while, we’re lucky enough that he adores one type of grain-free treat so we could drop the other ones. If the allergy is being caused by something environmental, we’re stuck, because it could be anything. We already use (expensive) walnut cat litter, because clay makes him chew his pads bloody, wheat makes him itch, corn probably would but none of them like the texture, and I cantell you right now that the newspaper stuff would not be a hit. If the walnut makes him itch, there’s nothing else to try. But, fingers crossed, maybe the rice is a factor? It could be anything, including chicken. It wasn’t as bad when he was eating mostly wet food, it’s definitely more of an issue since he stopped eating that and fixated on crunchies. Brushing him and trying to distract him only work so well, and it would just be cruel to put a cone on him and leave him to itch. So, aargh on that one.


Sleep, eat, water, snuggle, repeat

Short-ish and slightly disjointed post. Sorry, I’m tired. Some furry beast keeps interrupting my sleep…

Forty-five minutes before the alarm, Cory insisted Jackie provide water when she got up to use the bathroom. Immediately after, he scarfed down a snack, then fell asleep until the alarm and official breakfast time. Doesn’t he know that the whole point of the alarm is so I don’t have feline meal-creep edging breakfast a little earlier every day? LOL

He was wide awake and enthusiastic about breakfast, more than he has been in a couple of days. And an hour later, he wanted more – two full snacks, in fact. He was rather fussy about the second one. “I want noms but I’m going to spit out this flavour… I refuse to take that flavour… all right, that one is acceptable.” Once I got to the one he wanted, he devoured it energetically, then left.

And fell sound asleep, apart from a drink or two, for the rest of the morning. Aside from briefly interacting with Jackie, when she came in to talk to me and stretched out beside him to pet him.

I pwn this human

Continue reading

Early start on the noms

An hour and a half before the alarm, Cry announced, loudly and persistently, that he wanted crunchies and he wanted them NAAAOOOWWW!

So of course he got them, a full snack container plus a few extra.

And a drink.

And then I staggered back to bed.

When normal breakfast came around, he ate nearly all, had another drink, then enjoyed sunbeams on the bed until it got too crowded with Trick and Freya as well, and he went into his closet nest.

We own the bed!

Continue reading

Fingers crossed for a quiet day!

Jackie’s back at the dentist to get the work finished that wasn’t quite completed a week ago due to emergency hospital visit for bleeding tongue. Fingers and toes and everything else crossed that today goes smoothly and I don’t get another call to go to the hospital!

Just before the alarm, I woke up because of noise outside, and seconds later, a purring bearcat jumped onto my bed right in front of me. We’ve seen him more enthusiastic about breakfast, but he was alert and interested and he ate nearly all of it. An hour later, he demanded the leftovers and around one snack’s worth (it came from a snack he didn’t finish last night and some from a fresh one).

And he got a snuggle session that included his favourite hairbrush. I don’t want him thinking that the only time I interact with him is to shove food, water, or meds down his throat, y’know? Which was followed by a nap in the usual morning sunbeams.

Continue reading